Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Bolsa Chica Wetlands revisited

I read in the newspaper that the Bolsa Chica Wetlands was once again thriving. A tidal inlet was reconnected to the wetlands and since then all types of sea life has been finding itself in the wetlands, attracting all types of birds, some endangered.
Last time I went to the wetlands, I thought there were a good number of wildlife present. I didn't realize until the other day how many there should be!

This guy was enjoying the papparazzi attention who were kept at a good distance.
stork

I got lucky with this photo. This guy "buzzed" me pretty close.
in flight

This is the main trail as soon as you cross the bridge from the parking lot off Pacific Coast Highway. On the other side of the fence is a nesting area.
nesting ares

The other half were flying back an forth bringing fish from the other side of the wetlands. It was non-stop. There were so many birds it was almost deafening.
birds

The birds watcher and photographers were kept at a good distance.
bird watchers

There was a feeding frenzy here. The birds were diving into the water, coming away with a fish in its mouth and headed back to the nesting area.
south/east

This pelican was also getting in on the action.
pelican

This was one group of many photographers there that afternoon. Talk about lens envy! I felt so "inadequate" with my tiny... lens.
photographers

Another trail.
trail

I decided to stay for the sunset. It is a good thing I had my tripod with me. If you looked at the larger version of this photo, you can see the oil platforms to the left of the building on the beach.
sunset

Bridge back to the parking lot.
bridge

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home