Monday, July 28, 2008

Blasts from the Past!!

Reunion
When I graduated from high school, many many many long years ago, I did not stay in touch with many people. Even though our yearbooks were filled with "K.I.T." and other promises of "Let's keep in touch!" All in all, I've kept in touch (more or less) with my buddy Eugene through the years and when I was working at Cerritos College, I bumped into another friend from a different class, Diana. Otherwise, I've not seen or heard from anyone else.
I missed both my high school reunions (10 year and the 20 year). Besides, there were only a handful of people I would have liked to have seen and half of them were in the classes ahead of mine. Last year, I had an opportunity to see some of those people with a small get-together. It was not about class years but organization, namely the music department (bands and choir). Unfortunately, the reunion was scheduled when a cousin was getting married in Kauai so I missed it.
This past Saturday, another reunion was scheduled and guess what? I've another wedding to go to at the very same time! This can't be happening! Luckily, I was able to have lunch with a few friends before the reunion and the wedding.
Luckily, there was a smaller get-together at Wilderness Park in Downey on Sunday that I was able to attend. It was mind-blowing seeing old friends. If I were to count all the people I considered friends in high school with my fingers, I would still have a few left over. They were not all present but those who were there brought up memories and a little regret for having lost touch with them all those years. I made promises of keeping in touch and I mean to keep that promise this time.

Tina and Jenifer re-creating a photo from high school.
Tina and Jenifer

A little older and a little wiser...
Eugene, Jenifer, Tina. Rick and Carolyn

Eugene
With Eugene

Jenifer
With Jenifer

Carolyn
With Carolyn

Tina
With Tina

Rick and Eugene
With Rick and Eugene

The reason for the reunion: Mr. Talenfeld, our music director and his wife.
The T's

Dale and Cindy with the Talenfelds
Dave, Mr. T., Cindy and Mrs. T

I am so glad to have re-connected with my old friends. They were a big part of a crazy time of my life and they joined in the insanity, made it fun or brought a little reality in the mix what ever the situation required. I am glad they are doing well.


52 Weeks of Music: Week 30
New Shoes by Paolo Nutini
Shoes by Jesse James

"Oh hey, I put some new shoes on
And suddenly everything is right
I said
Hey, I put some new shoes on and everybody's smiling."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home