Sunday, February 22, 2004

Crash Bam Boom

I was the victim of a hit and run. That in itself is bad enough but I was on my way to a date and for anyone who has known me for a good long while, those things are rare and far in between... ARGH!!!!

I had just left the house and was on my way to meet her. I was feeling good and really looking forward to the evening. Getting on the freeway on-ramp, a white truck cuts me off at the on-ramp and starts fish-tailing. Before I can get out of his way the back of his truck clips the front of my car. I am thinking at least we were slow enough that it wasn't worse. Then I realize he isn't stopping, the truck continues onto the freeway. At first, I thought "Hey where the heck is this guy going?" Then it starts to sink in that this bonehead is running!

My first inclination is to go after him and chase him down. Then reality sunk in. This guy is running. I started to go after him then I came to a realization, I was about to get involved in a high speed freeway chase! The road conditions were damp at best and the traffic was not light. Besides, if I do catch up to this person, how am I supposed to get him to pull over? If I did chase him down and he pulled over what am I going to do demand to exchange information? Seeing as he is driving away from the scene of an accident, he MUST have his reason. Unless I knew that the reason was because he had to get the donor heart to the hospital in time, I am not going to chase down someone who has already demonstrated to me that he doesn't belong in society, at least not in mine. So, I exited the freeway at the next exit and called CHP.

It took a patrol car about 20 minutes to get to my location and the officer took a report. Unfortunately, I was not able to get the truck's license plate information, because he didn't have any, at least none that I could see. Looks like I am going to have to "eat it" on this one. The damage isn't so bad that the car can't be driven. In fact, I drove it back home after the officer took the report.

I had called the date as soon as I got hit and explained what happened. She was very understanding and said that we could try again. I was so disappointed. You cannot imagine how disappointed I was when I got home.

*sniff*


Song of the Day: "Say Anything" by Good Charlotte