Monday, October 24, 2005

Today's passage

I was reading my Bible today and I have this ritual of flipping through the pages and ranomly stopping find a passage. This was today's:

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither heights nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Romans 8:38-39

Usually the passage I come up with would be the passage I would try to memorize that day. I was writing it down on a piece of paper that I would use as a sort of bookmark/note that I can refer to throughout the day. Just as I finished writing, I read it again, and again. Then it hit me.
There have been times when I would work contrary to that teaching. I've been mad, everyone has and I have no problem with that. Anger is natural as is joy. But there have been a couple of times when I allowed myself to hate. In that hate I consciously and knowingly wished someone to burn in hell.
After reading the above passage, I was immediately reminded of those times. I felt ill, I felt shame, then I became sad. Knowing that nothing can "separate us from the love of God..." then why do we spend so much energy by practicing the opposite? By keeping God's love away from others?
I think I will be keeping this piece of paper with me a while...

2 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

I can teach you a song that makes that verse super easy to memorize!

BTW, I heard that you read, "Blue Like Jazz," Amazing, huh? Next you should read The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning. And after that, for a real treat, the Ragamuffin Gospel visual edition.

1:40 PM  
Blogger EARTH2IAN said...

I'm on page 150 of "Blue Like Jazz"... I hope to finish by this weekend. I LOVE IT!!!! Thanks for the book, Ryan! Uncle Angle's reading Don's new book I believe...

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home