Friday, January 02, 2004

I was listening to the radio on the way home and the announcer was reading off some new year resolutions that some of their listeners sent in or called in to the station. For the most part a lot of them were of the "I'm going to lose weight" or "I'll be nicer to my sister" type. There were a few that were pretty cool like using the car horn only for
emergencies and especially not for reasons of impatience. Of course there were more than enough of the "heart-warming, feel good" resolutions like "I will spend more time with my family and less time at work".
There was one resolution that caught my ear. The person prefaced the resolution by using a term from an African adage (I could not get the phrase) which roughly translated, tells people to become the person that God has given you the potential to become.
I thought that was such a powerful message. I think back to times when I have halted any progress towards self improvement, personal involvements or the improvement of the world within my sphere of influence by settling for "good enough". Why did I settle? Why do I settle? I wonder if it was because I was just lazy or I just didn't want to bother? Either way, it is a lame reason. It is not limited to one's actions either because it can also apply to one's thoughts, reasoning and attitude.
I wish that person all the strength necessary to carry out such resolution. I pray for the same strength in me because it has also become my resolution.

Song of the Day: "Try a Little Tenderness" by Otis Redding

[kahit na ano]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home