Sunday, January 11, 2004

Had a pretty full day. Pastor Donald gave the message this morning so I had the class sit in for the message instead of going into the classroom. There were a lot of visitors as Pastor Donald was speaking and that we were holding Child Dedications. Derrick and Kathy had arranged for dinner at one of Donald's favorite restaurants, Tokyo Lobby. There was a pretty good turn out. Some of us cooked up a little joke. After Donald talked to Joan in Chicago, telling her he was having dinner with some people, a few of us took turns calling her asking her for Donald's cel phone number as we were all waiting for him at the restaurant and he hasn't arrived yet... we're a bunch of dorks.
As we were eating, Grace made a comment on how the kids get along so well with each other. Looking at the tables where the kids were the older kids were looking out for the younger kids, making sure they had their food and that they were eating. If there was anything the little ones needed they took care of things. Some of the kids that no longer attend Cornerstone joined the crowd as if not a day has past since they last played with each other. A few of the kids brought friends from school and those new faces were accepted by everyone like old friends.
It got me to thinking about something my sister told me awhile back. She had just returned from Hawaii. She went to visit some of the cousins we grew up with in Guam. Most of them are already married and have kids. She said that when she does get married and have kids, she would like to move back to Hawaii and have the kids grow up around our cousin's kids. We were reminiscing of the time when we were kids growing up in Guam. We grew up surrounded by family. Our families lived within a bike ride of each other so it was not unusual for a crowd of "the cousins" to be roaming around the neighborhood like some gang, though back then the word gang meant a bunch of people. We numbered as few as four and as many as fifteen or twenty. I remember everytime we would all ride our bikes to the store or to the movies, the older cousins would split up riding in front and some in back to make sure none of the younger ones would be left behind or get separated from the group. My sister reminded me of a number of times we were "rescued" by anolder cousin watching out for us from a situation that would have been embarassing in the least, painful at its worst. She said that she would want a similar atmosphere for her kids and she sees that with our cousins' kids in Hawaii. I see what she's talking about, because I have seen our cousin's kids in action and it reminds me of how we were when we were kids.
Looking around the restaurant, I see how Allison, Bradley, Christopher, Natalie, Stevie and Traci look after, over and to the needs of the little ones like Mia, Brianna, Sara and Matthew. Each Sunday, I see Allison, Natalie and Traci take Brianna, Mia and now Kaitlyn under their "wings", Bradley, Brian, Christopher and Stevie running around each week, Brittany and Lindsay developing their friendship. I see Paul in Carson helping Natalie in Hacienda Heights with her Spanish online. Then there is Natalie helping everyone with anything that has to do with xangas, AIM-ing or anything internet...
When the time comes, I don't think I will need to consider moving to Hawaii when I start my family. I believe that the family I've found in Cornerstone can provide the love and nurturing any child(ren) I may have in the future. With uncles, aunts and older "cousins" he or she will have in the Cornerstone family, how can they NOT grow up loved and nurtured? No, I do not think I will be moving to Hawaii. Like I said a long time ago, Hawaii? It's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Song of the Day: "Shower the People" by James Taylor

[kahit na ano]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home