Saturday, January 17, 2004

I was asked recently what was behind my love for motorcycling. Without hesitation I went into the following story:

When I was about 7 years old, growing up in Guam, I was told to only ride my bike on my street, up and down the block, 30 yards of street and I was ok with that. I didn't want to know what was on the other block, besides I wasn't too confident of my bike riding abilities as much as the other kids in the neighborhood. One day some of the kids wanted to go to this house that sold popsicles on the other block. I asked my mom and to my utter surprise she said to go ahead and gave me a dollar to buy popsicles for everybody (they were 10 cents each back then). WOW! there were 8 of us and we tore out of the block pretending we were in a great race. We were heading towards an adventure, danger, excitement. I was on the way to do battle with robots. I was Big Bear of the Forever People (anyone know that reference?). We were a gang.
I felt so excited, I was exhilarated, I was so free! Never mind that it was just 2 block away, never mind that I was with 7 other kids from my street. I was riding in a straight line, I was weaving around, I was lazily riding around in circles. It was such a big thing for me and I had always equated that feeling with two wheels.

So, bikes? Pedal power or motor, it's always good. Accidents and all, pass the band-aids.

Song of the Day: "My Love is like ... Wo" by My'a

[kahit na ano]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home