Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Just when you think it's safe...

"One of these days my mouth will get me in more trouble than my mouth can get me out of..."

I have been operating under this supposed "prophecy" for quite some time now. In fact, it has been a mantra of sorts right after a "close call". The thing is that I don't learn from the previous close call. I'm pretty sure I've gotten cocky about being able to get out of these messes that my mouth gwts me into, to the point that I place myself in these situations just so I can verbally "bob and weave" my way out of it. I guess in a way I am actually looking forward to the day that I can't get out of it, just to cure myself of this addiction... ok there I said it. It is a sort of addiction, a sort of high. Sometimes I get those delayed reactions from people who just don't get it right away and then they come after me once they get it. Most times, it is just me being a clown or a comedian. Other times, I see small minded people being bullies with their small minded attitudes and narrow minded views and I feel the need to point it out to them.
Anyway, I'm usually ready for the "right there reactions" but it is the "delayed reaction people" that I really have to watch out for, because I don't see them coming until it is too late.



Retreat Stories, Part II
For the first night, we were to arrange for dinner ourselves. Going by the recommendations of a "local" and on the plan of "messing" with that local's cousin's head a few of us decided to go to a place called Mandoline Bistro. The place was pretty nice they had a patio that had a lot of room too bad it was a bit on the cool side. We had the Soohoos, Tony, Letisha, Alex, Steve and Stephanie join us at the restaurant. We asked our waitress if Robert was around yet and she told us he was at the jazz night club upstairs and we were making plans to come back before they closed. Then I hear this voice cut across the restaurant, "HEY YOU!" I was thinking, "uh oh, someone is in trouble." Then I hear, "YOU with the yellow bracelet!"...
A few things came to my mind:
  1. Where is the nearest exit?
  2. Who could I have already pissed off so much when I have only been in town less than 3 hours?
  3. Where is the nearest exit?
  4. Is this guy going to give me a chance to explain? (What I do not know)
  5. Where is the nearest exit?
  6. Is the police station close?
  7. Where is the nearest exit?
  8. Is the hospital close?
    and
  9. Where is the nearest exit?

I don't know what everyone else at the table was thinking. Actually, I am really interested in what everyone else at the table was thinking, so guys if you were there, leave a comment as to what you thought was going on with the guy yelling from across the room like he did.

I was looking around and finally spotted where this guy was and I was thinking, "I can take him." Yeah... right. He yells out again, "Hey you! I like your bracelet!" Then He and his wife raise their hands revealing their own bracelets. That's when it dawned on me that it was all good. We all got back to our dinners and I was actually able to eat after my heart calmed down enough to let me. Afterwards, I walked up to them and talked to them for a bit.

We got back to the retreat facilities and had a very good first night. Up until Tony had to go to hospital around 2:30 in the morning...

To be continued...

Disclaimer: The preceeding is not an accurate accounting of what took place, but rather how my memory recorded it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home