Sunday, October 03, 2004

A Hundred Things in One Day

Okay, maybe there weren't a hundred things, but there was a lot of things going on and other things just kept being added to the pile.
Saturday, October 2, 2004.

  1. a yearly neighborhood yard sale.
  2. a first ever Cornerstone carwash.
  3. a family urgency (not emergency, but an urgency).
  4. a stranding of the go to guy (yeah, me).
  5. lunch (hey, it's a big deal to me)
  6. another urgency.
  7. yard sale breakdown.
  8. Cornerstone's first "Neo-Beatnik" night aka: Art as Worship Night

All this from 7:00 am to 7:00 pm. I needed to go for another late night drive after all that.

Neo-Beatnik Night

This was Cornerstone's first attempt at something like this and it was a lot of fun. A lot of people were invited from the neighborhood and from the carwash earlier that day. Some people brought in sculptures, paintings, poems were read, songs were sung, people cooked, I ate, everyone snapped fingers, on hippie clapped (go Rick!), and others massaged. I think now that others now have an idea of what is involved, there may be more participants for the next one. There were a lot of "who is going up first?" or "who is going up next?" silence.

There were a lot of new faces and hopefully those faces will come back and become names and in turn become friends.

Retreat Stories, Part III

It has only been seven hours and I believe I have driven into the "village" a total of five times already. It was getting so that I could almost drive down with my eyes closed. As dark as it was, at times it felt that way. Coming back from town around 1:30 am, I find a few people still up and playing cards in the dining area. I thought I would hang around a while when at around 2:30 am, I learn that Letisha and Tony Wong woke up my room looking for me. Apparently, Tony D. has been experiencing some pain in his side since dinner and he waited until it got so bad to decide that he needed to go to the hospital.

So, Letisha and a moaning and groaning Tony D. got into my car and off we go down the hill to the hospital. Before, everyone get all upset, Tony is alright. As it turns out, Mister Macho Tony D. over did it at the gym the last time he worked out and while unload his truck upon arrival at the retreat site, he aggravated an already pulled muscle. The doctor gave him a shot and some Vicodin and sent him/us on our way.

It is usually at this part where everyone says, "Is that all?!!! We expected more from your stories, Angel!"

Now, here's the weird or "it can only happen to you, Angel" part of the story. While in the waiting room there were these two ladies. Normally, I would be chatting them up, the sociable person that I am, but it was 3:30 am and we were in a hospital emergency room.

They obviously brought someone there and depending on how serious the person's injuries were they may not be up to casual conversation. So, I was going to try to take a little nap when I overheard one of the ladies say that she had the nine to five shift and that she still had to prepare the COFFEE grounds for the day...
Imagine my head snapping to attention. When I say snapping I mean snapping as breaking the sound barrier and creating a gust of wind. So much so that even they notice from across the room.

"Ladies! Now you have gone and done it! Just as I was about to fall asleep, you had to mention my addiction!"

To be continued...

Disclaimer: The preceeding is not an accurate accounting of what took place, but rather how my memory recorded it.


Post a Comment

<< Home