Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Eve

James and I went down to Santa Monica to get in some end of the year pictures. We thought we would check out the pier and Third Street Promenade.

We parked in the mall parking lot and walked down to the pier. Every time that I have gone to the pier, I would park at the parking lot north of the pier at the beach. I've only seen this in movies or on TV.
NYEve (1)

Then I remembered why I always parked down at the beach. I've always said that though I enjoy the view from the heights, I don't like being in the heights. About right here, I am fighting off a mild case of vertigo.
NYEve (3)

I slowly stepped off the sidewalk and onto the street (further from the edge) and forced myself to take this picture. Oh, the things I do for a picture. Come to think of it, wouldn't that be cool epithat on my tombstone?
NYEve (2)

On the north side of the pier, right on the sand was a bunch of red and white crosses and a few "stars of David" all lined up. It was the Arlington West Iraq War Memorial. Every Sunday from sunrise to sunset the memorial is put up by Veterans for Peace. I saw this note on one of the crosses.
NYEve (5)

NYEve (6)

I spoke with one of the veterans there and he explained that they were able to leave the memorial overnight that's why it was still here today. I left a little donation to keep this memorial going, found a friend's friend on the list.
Rest in Peace Andres Contreras
NYEve (7)

Up on the pier there were people out enjoying the 75+ degrees on New Year's Eve. There were three of these guys (different booths) sculpting mini busts for $20 a pop. It took about 20 - 30 minutes and they were pretty good. I was thinking about it but thought "what the heck would I do with it?"
NYEve (9)

NYEve (10)

As a kid I used to get a kick out of these things. I don't remember this message on the side of them. Has this message always been on them?
NYEve (8)

Camera Fans
This is a quality telescope and is equal to a 1750 mm telephoto
lens.

Instructions
Focus telescope to your eye, place camera to
eyepiece and take picture.
Needless to say I tried it just to see if it worked... lost that quarter.

There weren't a lot of people riding the ferris wheel or the roller coaster but it was still early.
NYEve (11)

So braving the ramp once again, we went to see what was going on at the promenade. There were a number of street performers but this guy was pretty good. I didn't see what his name was but he had a small crowd gathering to listen.
NYEve (12)

NYEve (13)

Otherwise there were the usual pedestrians and sightsee'rs. Wayne called and asked if we wanted to meet up at Versailles for lunch. He's been jonesing their lemon garlic chicken for quite a while now so we took off to meet him. Good call.

Have a happy and safe New Year's Eve everyone! See you all next year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home